The following protocol is to provide the MRI staff with the proper and safe procedural guidelines for a Code Red situation in a MRI environment:
1. Uncontrolled fire in the MRI scan room
If unable to extinguish fire, remove patient from the scan room if present. Sprinkler system should be auto activated, if not functional perform Emergency Magnet Rundown procedure (Quench).
2. Emergency Magnet Rundown Procedure
Press the Emergency Magnet Rundown button located in the magnet room (GE system) and in the MR suite adjacent to the operators console for the Phillips and Siemens system.
- This results in a rapid reduction of the magnetic field in about 2 minutes.
- There is a boil-off of cryogen, accompanied by loud crackling and hissing sounds.
- Evacuate scan room and close scan room door.
3. Call Code Red
Pull alarm and call 9, 911. Announce to the operator the following:
"Code Red MRI, Room#____".
Evacuate to the hallway and guide the Fire department responding to the Code Red.
When the Fire department arrives notify the crew that the magnetic field has been shutdown.